Are you enjoying your summer vegetable garden harvest as much as we are? All that hard work is paying off. And that bounty doesn’t have to end with the warm weather garden because fall is the perfect time to plant more veggies.
Here are 12 cool weather vegetables that grow well in a raised garden bed like an Eco Garden:
- Swiss chard
Fall Gardening Tips (and watch this video for more ideas):
- You may be wondering how to get these crops planted before the really cold weather moves in. Depending where you live, you will have to check your seed packets to see how long it takes each vegetable to mature.
- Check your first frost date. In northern areas where it’s cooler, you may only be able to plant quick growing veggies like lettuce and radish this late in the game.
- Learn how to succession plant to increase your harvests all year long—we wrote all about it here.
- Plant in a raised garden bed like an Eco Garden Systems Original Garden. Our garden is revolutionary in its approach to growing vegetables with a water reservoir and an Air Gap, which increases the oxygen in the roots of plants. This also keeps the temperature warmer, allowing you to grow longer.
- Use cold weather shade cloth to keep vegetables warm overnight.
- Some vegetables like kale, Swiss chard, and carrots can handle some frost. Carrots actually get sweeter with a little cold nip! Just be sure to harvest before the ground freezes.
We have been doing many gardening experiments, and so far fall gardening is going well in the Eco Garden. See what we decided to plant, and a unique method for getting your seeds to germinate faster, called chitting.
Just when you thought the hard work was over, you can enjoy more harvest for you and your family. Now get growing and use some of these tips to plan out a longer harvest next year. You didn’t really want the gardening to end already, did you?
Tell us: What do you grow in your fall garden?