Over 30 years ago, the original garden was constructed for the family’s matriarch when she announced that she could no longer bend, stoop and crawl around to tend her beloved garden.
This announcement was met with typical Midwest determination – the building of a wooden raised bed garden (to resolve the bending/stooping issue) over a common cattle cistern (to reduce the labor needed to get water to the garden). This extended her ability to garden for many more years and created a variety of “unintended consequences”:
- Friends and neighbors also wanted raised bed gardens – 20+ additional wooden gardens were constructed
- The cistern not only reduced labor but plant roots found their way into and above the cistern (continuous water supply) and the moisture/oxygen layer between the soil and the reservoir created perfect growing conditions with interesting results:
- Faster plant growth (2x)
- Faster to maturity and flower
- 50+% increase in production
- The raised-bed nature of the garden limited access to most ground level pests
- The wooden construction did not last – the wild temperature swings experienced in the Midwest (along with both external moisture and the impact of the cistern) caused the lumber to rot more quickly and even more learnings were achieved:
- The time and money cost of rebuilding the gardens was extensive and exhaustive
- Rotting wood creates a haven for insect infestation
- Different woods could not be used as they would leech chemicals into the soil
- Exploration started for a better total growing process that incorporated all of these learnings
While we started Eco Garden Systems to solve a problem for aging gardeners, we have evolved into a “Gardening Driven” company – our goal is to provide education, guidance and a “Path to becoming a Master Gardener” for anyone who wants to #GardenDifferent.
We are not a traditional gardening company – we believe that everyone should raise some of their own food but many can’t based on:
- Physical Capabilities – just like our matriarch, many folks can’t get down on the ground and garden. Our raised beds solve for this issue.
- You live where the “too’s” prevent quality gardening – too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, soil that is “too poor,” a yard that is “too small”, too much hardscape, too inconvenient. An Eco Garden solves for all of these.
- Gardening is perceived as being difficult or time consuming. With an Eco Garden, we make gardening easier by taking the guesswork out of gardening. You can essentially fill the reservoir, fill the garden with the proper soil, plant your seeds and watch the miracle of growth happen.
We want to rebuild communities across the country based on access to raised bed gardening.
From family to neighbors to neighborhoods and communities to schools, senior centers, community centers and other commercial applications, we feel that by getting people to engage around a common goal – growing tomorrow’s dinner – we achieve a higher purpose. That purpose is community – and all of the benefits an engaged community can bring in good times and in bad.